Now that we’ve given you some time to watch, rematch and sound off on the first trailer for Zack Snyder’s upcoming ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ we thought it was about time to bring you a gallery of our favourite moments.
Check out some choice images from the trailer below and then scroll down to read our review!
I’m going to admit that I watched the version of the trailer that came online unofficially, I’m sure most of you did also. However knowing that the official release was a coming a mere 24 hours later I didn’t rematch it to death and limit the impact when the full HD quality version finally landed on my laptop.
Immediately my phone, Facebook and Twitter were inundated with old friends who know how much of a Bat-fan I am asking for my opinion on the trailer. Some liked it, some loved it and others found it underwhelming. Me? I think it looks pretty impressive but I’ll have to save judgement on the story until I know more about it.
Despite a run time of 2mins 13 secs this first trailer for ‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ (you can watch it here) doesn’t actually give away very much of the plot at all. Here’s what we know so far:
- Superman is now an object of worship for some and fear for others.
- His actions in ‘Man of Steel’ have brought him in to the public eye with many questioning the dangers such a superpower being could bring.
- Bruce Wayne is clearly concerned about whether this alien God is a threat to humanity and steps in to take matters in to his own hands.
The trailer is unbelievably dark and continues to be reminiscent of the Christopher Nolan ‘Dark Knight’ series of films rather than echoing the tone and style of the Christopher Reeve ‘Superman’ films. It’s not a bad thing for a bad of darker superhero movies like myself but many fans of Superman have called this trailer out for being a big step away from his comic origins.
The narrative of the trailer follows several of the films cast discussing the danger of Superman leading up to the reveal of a statue built in his honour being defaced with the term ‘false god’ before leading in to our first introduction to a very steely looking Bruce Wayne suiting up as Batman to go after the Man of Steel.
There are a couple of reveals in this trailer and likewise there are many elements missing. Let’s start with the unexpected moments:
- The Batwing – we’ve heard rumours of multiple Bat vehicles but here it is not just flying but also being shot at.
- The Mecha-Batsuit – those at SDCC last year saw it, now we all get to see it too.
- Batman v Superman – no we don’t quite glance them fighting but the ‘Do you bleed? You will’ comment is enough to get any fan pumped for a fight.
Now for those moments missing from the trailer:
- No Amy Adams as Lois Jane.
- No Jeremy Irons as Alfred Pennyworth
- No first glimpse of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman or Jessie Eisenberg as Lex Luthor.
- No solid news on whether the film takes place in both Metropolis and Gotham.
- No Batcave.
It’s the first trailer so Zack Snyder and crew can’t play all their cards straight away but I had expected a small Wonder Woman moment at least teased at the end of the trailer.
Our top scene: the moment Batfleck says ‘Do you bleed? You will’ to Superman at the end of the trailer, it’s a moment at least in costume which reflects the seminal ‘The Dark Knight Returns’ and brings home the point that Snyder is using some of our favourite source material to build this movie around.
Did you all spot the potential nod to The Ridder? Check out the screen caps above and look for a ? to appear in a scene which MUST confirm a partial Gotham setting for this film… surely!
Sound off in the comments below with your hopes and expectations for the film!